Saturday, 8 August 2009

Inlaid Slip Decoration

Avid readers will know I like to get experimental, so I tried a new technique with inlaid slip.

I stamped a pattern, mostly with my own handmade stamps, and filled the indentations with contrasting slip. When the piece was leather-hard I scraped off the excess slip to reveal the pattern. This was quite labour intensive and by far the hardest part of the process. The smallest indentations I had made didn't fill completely with slip so there are only little holes left now. On one of the petals you can see that I went a little to far (or didn't stamp deeply enough) and reached the dark part. Despite the flaws I'm going to fire this little experiment. I want to see the finished result.

No comments: